Thursday, March 15, 2018

String Piecing Day!

Good Thursday evening!

I decided to make another string piecing wall-hanging because they are so pretty, so quick and so easy!  This is unfinished but I wanted you to get an idea of what it will look like.  I still need to machine quilt it and I will use free motion quilting to do so.

String piecing is simply piecing together scraps of different width-sized strips of fabric.
It's a fabulous way of using up scraps!
And we all have strips leftover from adding thin borders, etc. If your strips are too wide, just cut them in half.  
I also like to make my cuts a bit "wonky" for fun!

So first you need to decide what size block you want and I made these 6 1/2" finished squares. 
I keep a box of scraps from which to pull from and then just randomly sew them together. 



I don't try to sew exact 6 1/2" strips - I approximate and make sure they are longer than that slightly, and if they are too long, I cut them as I match them up to sew.  When the width is a bit larger than 
6 1/2" I am finished with that block.  I strip piece as well which helps the process speed along. 

When I've got as many squares finished as I want for the project (this one has 12) I square them up using my handy 6 1/2" square ruler.

For this particular project I also made these quarter square triangle blocks to set them with for some interest and to break up all the busyness.


I hope you get to play around with string piecing soon!  It's therapeutic!
So get busy string piecing and have fun being creative!

Quote of the Day: "To quilt is human; To finish is divine!"

Have a blessed and stringy, strippy weekend! 
~Mary Lou

1 comment:

  1. Charming! Love the setting color and blocks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Cinnamon Bundt Cake Recipe

     T'was the day before Thanksgiving and all through the house, there are aromas of food that would hurry a mouse! The turkey wa...